Patriot Athletics Update
July 31, 2023
Above photo: Fall tryouts are underway!
We hope everyone is enjoying their summer holidays with family and friends. This is a quick athletics update with information about important dates regarding summer camps, coach openings, coach hires, and fall team tryouts.
- NEW COACH HIRES—We are pleased to welcome Coach Ellie Stafford as our new girls varsity soccer head coach and Coach Tiffany Garfield as our running program director leading the cross country and track and field programs for boys and girls in middle school and high school! Please see below for their bios.
- NEW STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING PROGRAM—We are grateful to share that Coach Brian Smith will be working with our extracurricular sports teams to provide strength and conditioning programs, supervision, and training throughout the year. Coach Smith’s years of advanced education and teaching experience will help our student athletes avoid injuries, recover from injury more safely and quickly, as well as improve their strength, agility, endurance, and quickness.
- FALL TEAM TRYOUTS AND SUMMER PARTICIPATION—see below for UPDATED details and coach contact info
- NOTE: due to increased options and participation in other sports, as well as decreased participation in ultimate frisbee, extracurricular ultimate frisbee will no longer be offered at AHS
- The following sports have already held their tryouts. Students may still be able to tryout for the team. For more information, send the relevant head coach an email by clicking on their name below:
- SPORTS CAMPS—see posters below for details
- COACH OPENINGS—please share with family and friends as we often find our best people from within the AHS family
We are grateful for the opportunity we have to support our student athletes and coaches and look forward to seeing our Patriots back on campus!
& Basketball Director
Assistant Principal for Athletics
WELCOME NEW COACHES!
Tiffany Garfield has been coaching at AHS since 2022 where she’s helped many runners achieve personal bests and top finishes in cross country and track. She has many years of experience coaching in a variety of settings, including as a USATF coach at Nike nationals, Springville High School hurdles coach (helping the girls team to a state championship), founder and head trainer of North Oahu Athletics Fit Club, and the co-founder and head trainer of both the Laie Run Club and Laie Competitive Soccer Club.
Coach Garfield was a dual-sport athlete at BYU, competing for both the soccer and track teams while earning a BA in Secondary Ed with a minor in Coaching. In high school, Coach Garfield was a three-time All-American in the hurdles, earned Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year, set the Colorado state record in the 300m hurdles, and was a three-time member of the Olympic Developmental Soccer Team, among many other accomplishments.
Tiffany met her husband Noah at BYU, where he competed in the decathlon for BYU. They are the parents of six children.
Ellie Stafford started with AHS as the Girls Assistant Varsity Soccer Coach in 2022. She has always been impressed with the school’s commitment to academic and moral excellence, and she has been inspired by the example of leaders, students, and parents.
She is extremely grateful to be part of such a wonderful community, and she is excited to contribute to the spiritual, academic, and athletic development of the young women in the soccer program.
Coach Stafford is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in computer science and has played competitively in the Women’s Premier Soccer League. Prior to coaching at AHS, she was the Junior Varsity Head Coach at Maeser Preparatory Academy, which is her alma mater. As team captain for her high school soccer team, she led her team deep into the state tournament.
In her spare time, Ellie enjoys bicycle riding, snowboarding, and dirt bike riding. Her father and mother are immigrants from Mexico and Chile, respectively, and she and her husband work together to teach their four energetic sons to love God and their neighbor’s, celebrate their rich cultural heritage, and speak Spanish in the home.
We encourage all 7–12 students to tryout for one our athletic teams! All students need a current physical (taken after March 10, 2023). Needed forms are here:
1: 3–6 p.m., Fox Hollow Golf Course (meet at the driving range): Boys Varsity Golf tryouts. As explained in the spring player and parent meetings, boys need to complete and record 10 18-hole rounds of golf and establish a USGA handicap to be eligible for tryouts. Please contact Head Coach Rod Morley for more information by clicking here.
Participation fee: $400
2–4: 4–6 p.m. Girls Varsity Volleyball. Practice will start Aug. 7 and will go from 4–6 p.m. until the start of school. Contact Coach Katelynn Maki for more information.
Participation fee: $450
7-9: Back-to-School Basketball Boys and Girls Camps with Coach Winitana. See posters below. Contact Coach Winitana for more information.
16: School begins
23: 3:30–4:30 p.m. Boys Middle School Soccer. Contact Coach Stephen Blake for more information.
Participation fee: $325
MS Girls Soccer Camp Coach Contact Info and Bios
Coaches Seng and McKenzie will be hosting Soccer Camp August 8–11th to give athletes a chance to refine and learn new skills before school starts. $120 per player, email Coach Seng with any questions and to register.
Meg Seng grew to love soccer as a toddler while watching her dad play. She played throughout her childhood into high school and played a season at Southern Virginia University. She got married last year and, with the support and encouragement from her husband, began coaching for AHS in the spring of 2023. She has a strong belief in God and her Savior, Jesus Christ, and is thankful every day that she was led to the opportunity she has to coach with Melanie McKenzie and work with young athletes with great potential. She and Coach McKenzie work to be good examples to the athletes that they work with and encourage them to exhibit Christlike behavior on and off the field.
Melanie McKenzie has loved soccer since her days in recess. She is married and has a soon-to-be toddler! She started coaching middle school soccer at American Heritage School in the Spring of 2023. Though the season had its ups and downs, she was able to make it a great season with Coach Seng. The dynamic duo are hardworking and know how to help the athletes accomplish their goals. They both have strong testimonies and help turn the athletes to God through prayer and acknowledgement. They are so excited for this upcoming season!